Saturday, August 10, 2019

Thursdays in the Gardens

As part of my Artist in Residency at the Mt Coot-tha Botanic Gardens, I am drawing or painting somewhere in the gardens on most days. On Thursdays I have been posting my location on social media so that other artists or sketchers can join me. This week I was working in the Japanese Garden on Thursday and was joined by eight other sketchers.



Robyn Bauer sketching in the Japanese garden


I was tempted by the winter sunshine but after starting my drawing I soon realised I was getting far too hot, plus the glare from the paper made it very difficult to continue and I had to move to the shade. I still continued on the same drawing from a different angle. I should know better being a Queenslander. I won't make that mistake again.



Pinus Thunbergii, Robyn Bauer


The twisted forms of this Japanese Black Pine were the main focus with the pond in the middle distance.



Sketchers in the Japanese garden

There were dozens of school children who were intrigued to see artists at work and they stopped to watch for several minutes.


Sketchers in the Japanese Garden



As you see we had a lovely group out enjoying the perfect winter weather.


Hard at work


This shelter provides a great resource for artists to see and work, rain or shine.


Robyn Bauer sketching








No comments:

Post a Comment